All faculty teaching or responsible for academic courses.
AdventHealth University ensures that all faculty have the appropriate credentials necessary to provide our students with a high quality education. The university documents the qualifications of instructors consistent with the Principles of Accreditation established by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and AdventHealth University (AHU) policy.
The instructor of record is listed as the primary instructor for a course, except in those courses that are team-taught, in which instructors share the responsibilities of the course. Teaching assistants may participate in delivery of instruction, but the instructor of record must maintain primary responsibility and oversight of the course. The instructor of record must be appropriately credentialed to teach the course according to SACSCOC guidelines, program accreditation, and AHU policy. The instructor of record is subject to evaluation by the academic department according to the University policy and procedure for teacher and course evaluation. Presenters may be subject to evaluation by the academic depatrment according to the University policy and procedure for teacher and course evaluation. The instructor of record has overall responsibility for the course, including:
1) Design and implementation of the course and syllabus
2) Ongoing instruction and day-to day delivery of the course
3) Satisfying the student learning outcomes listed in the syllabus
4) Submission of the final grades according to deadlines established by the Office of the Registrar
5) Student complaints and grievances associated with the course.
Notable exceptions to situations where the instructor of record may have overall responsibility for a course without continuous presence or ongoing instruction in a classroom or through online delivery include:
1) Undergraduate or graduate laboratory sections in which teaching assistants or adjuncts may participate in the delivery of instruction/student supervision
2) Clinical instruction that is supervised by persons experienced in the discipline and focuses on application of concepts and principles in the field
3) Internships supervised by persons experienced in the discipline
4) Other situations that may not require the continuous presence or ongoing instruction of the instructor of record and that the department can demonstrate and document as educationally sound and that have been approved by the Provost.
Except as noted above, it is not acceptable for an individual to be listed as the instructor of record while another individual, even when listed as a secondary instructor, carries out the duties of a primary instructor. This policy applies to all courses offered for AdventHealth University credit and entered on student transcripts, regardless of location or mode of delivery.
|Committee||Date Voted||Minutes Code|
|Academic Policies||Wednesday, January 29, 2020||20:01|
|President's Council||Monday, February 3, 2020||20:10|