This policy applies to all AdventHealth University (AHU) students.
To outline attendance expectations for AdventHealth University students enrolled in courses, laboratories, clinicals, and/or practicums.
- Class attendance is required beginning with the first-class meeting.
- Students who are not actively participating in an online class and/or do not submit the first assignment by the scheduled due date may be withdrawn by the instructor at the end of the first week.
- In the event of absence from a classroom course or the inability to participate in an online or hybrid course, the student must contact their professor immediately to indicate the reason and to inquire whether make-up work is possible. In the event of an emergency (e.g. illness), instructors may require official documentation or verification.
- It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from his or her courses as soon as the decision to drop has been made. Students are considered to be enrolled in the course until he or she withdraws. During the add/drop period, students can add and drop online. After the add/drop period, students must complete the Drop/Add/Withdrawal Form and submit to the Office of the Registrar. Failure to submit the completed Drop/Add/Withdrawal Form by the drop deadline will result in the grade of “WF” being given for the course.
- An Administrative Drop may take place if a student is absent for a period of two consecutive weeks and does not contact the instructor or complete the appropriate paperwork.
- When a student’s number of absences (excused or unexcused) for any course exceeds 20% of the total course appointments, a grade of “F” may be given for that course.
- Excused absences up to five days are allowed for bereavement if the death was an immediate family member (spouse, parent, sibling, child, or grandparent). Other family members, such as aunts, uncles, and cousins, are usually not in this category unless they were part of the immediate family unit. Additional time must be requested by the student and agreed to by the instructor. Verification must be provided at the time of the student’s return to class. All coursework must be made up within a time frame agreed upon with the course instructor.
“WF”: Withdrawn, Failing
Hybrid: A mixture of face-to-face and online modalities.